Do I need a licence to drive a Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle?
Once a Private Hire vehicle or Taxi is plated and licensed, it remains a Taxi or Private Hire vehicle at all times, even when not being used for public hire or hire and reward i.e. personal and social use.
To apply for a Taxi or Private Hire drivers licence, you must have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 12 months.
Please contact the Licensing Team to request an application. As of the 22nd November 2017 all new applicants will be required to attend an interview at the Civic Centre, with a member of the Licensing Team. They will issue the application and give advice on how to complete it if required. At this time a Right to Work Check will be carried out. A range of documents can be used to evidence that you have the right to live and work in the UK as detailed on the following attachment:
Please be aware that we are currently creating a Safeguarding course, which will then become a requirement of all new driver applications.
All applicants will need to satisfy the Council that they are a fit and proper person to hold a drivers Licence.
The following will need to be completed and enclosed with your application before submitting to the Licensing Team to process:
- A completed application
- Fee paid
- One passport sized photograph
- Applied for a DBS check (Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service), after the 22nd November 2017 all new applicants will be required to sign up to the DBS update service, following submission of their DBS application, which they will need to remain signed up to, or they will risk suspension until another full DBS has been completed and they sign up to the service again.
- One Reference
- Completed Group 2 Medical
- DVLA Access code provided (please be aware this code is only valid for 21 days).
- Certificate showing a Pass mark for the Practical Driving test for drivers of Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicles and where applicable a wheelchair assistance test. The Council has approved the following providers of these tests:
- Blue Lamp Trust
- Green Penny
- Elite Driver Training
- AA DriveTech
- Institute of Advanced Motorists
- Driving Instructors Association
Applicants should contact the companies direct to discuss appointment times and costs.
All application costs are to be paid by the applicant. Unfortunately, we cannot reimburse costs incurred, whether a licence is granted or not.
Drivers Licence (grant for 3 years & includes the price of the DBS check) - £234.50
Drivers Renewal (includes the DBS) - £104.50
Licence Amendment Fee - £42.93
Duplicate driver name badge - £14.14
Duplicate licence per item - £13.13