We can work with parish councils and local communities to tackle this issue. We often work with local schools to raise awareness of the issues. Poster competitions with local school children can effectively reduce dog fouling in communities. We can also provide stencils and biodegradable paint to target particular problem areas.
Persistent dog fouling can be tackled - but we need members of the public to help us. Witness report can help us identify the culprits. Report it here.
Throughout July we'll be reminding dog owners of the peanlties for failing to pick up after their pooches - and encouraging reporting of this to us.
We're working with the Dogs Trust with four community events taking place in Riccall, Sherburn in Elmet, Selby and Tadcaster.
As well the community events, the Dogs Trust will visit primary schools near these events to take their message to youngsters.
The events will offer a free dog healthcheck, free poo bags, free on the spot microchipping and a free check your chip service.
The Dogs Trust will also have information about:
- The change in the law regarding compulsory microchipping
- The legal requirement of keeping the microchip owner information up to date
- The legal requirement for collar and tag
- The legal requirement to pick up after your dog
- The importance of proper training/socialisation to prevent anti-social behaviour
- How to be safe around dogs
They will also provide health and wellbeing advice including promoting the importance of:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Recognising signs of ill health
- Registering with a vet
- Regular flea/worm treatment
- Annual vaccinations
- Regular dental checks
The events will run from 11am to 3pm at these dates and locations:
Wednesday 12 July Regen Centre, Riccall
Wednesday 19 July Eversley Centre, Sherburn
Wednesday 26 July Micklegate, Selby
We're also launching a new 'Paws and pick up' pledge, with a competition and the chance for your dog to be the (furry) face of future dog fouling campaigns.
Click on the box below to find out more about this initiative.