Could your furniture be used by someone else? If so, it could be collected free.
There are two local furniture reuse organisations who both accept donations of furniture and white goods which are suitable for reuse. The Selby Community Furniture Store is on Bawtry Road Industrial Estate and St Leonards Hospice is on Ousegate, both in Selby.
Both stores stock a wide range of used furniture and white goods at very reasonable prices.
If your items are in good condition and could benefit someone else please ring the Selby Community Furniture Store on 01757 291444 or St Leonards Hospice on 01757 708578 to discuss details and a free collection. Both stores reserve the right not to collect any item.
The Selby Freecycle group is a website forum for people who want to exchange goods, rather than throw them away when they are no longer needed, and one of the great things about it is that everything is free!
The Freecycle network is a non-profit organisation working to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill by reusing good quality items. Whether you've got an old sofa, toys or clothes if you register you can swap almost anything that you no longer need for things that you do - it saves you money and also helps the environment by enabling you to reuse rather than throw away.
For more information or to join the Selby Freecycle group simply click on the Freecycle link.
Charity Shops and Other Reuse Organisations
By donating to your local charity shop, you will not only be reducing the amount of waste going to landfill but you will be supporting a good cause of your choice. To find your nearest favourite charity shop either visit www.charityshops.org.uk/findashop alternatively look under 'Charity shops' in your local yellow pages or visit you high street.
Social networking sites are becoming more and more popular and are great places to advertise your unwanted items. The Facebook group 'Stuff for Sale in Selby' for example has over 1500 members and is growing all the time. Members advertise items for sale or that are free to a good home. Alternately if you have unwanted items why not just post a picture on your wall for your friends to see.
What we do
Selby District Council Bulky Household Items Collection Service – Fixed Price of £40.00 for up to 5 items or £30.00 for those in receipt of certain benefits (conditions apply). *The service is non-refundable.
Our Bulky Household Items Collection Service is for the collection of:
- Items of large household furniture e.g. tables, beds and three piece suites
- Other items of furniture that will not fit in to your wheeled bin
- Fridges and Freezers
- Washing machines, dryers and cookers; and
- Empty gas bottles.
Our Bulky Household Items Collection Service will not collect:
- Bags of household rubbish - (please use the Household Waste Recycling Centres)
- Cardboard - recycle this using your kerbside recycling box
- Soil and rubble, waste from external construction work e.g. windows and doors, oil tanks and central heating boilers (see Yellow Pages for skip hire)
- Asbestos - ring for an advice sheet on safe handling and disposal or visit our asbestos information pages
- Collect up to 5 items of household furniture and white goods. 1 item = a dining table and 4 chairs; or 1 mattress with frame/bed base; or a 3-piece suite. We will only collect items you have advised us of at the time of booking.
- Collect items from outside your property only. They must not be stored in a garage, shed or other out-building or be obstructed by vehicles or other barriers, and must be easily accessible for collection. Please tell us where the items will be left at the time of booking.
- Inform you of the day your items will be collected (this is usually within two weeks of your booking being made).
Other Items - We can provide a quotation for the collection of other large items of household waste including fixtures and fittings e.g. kitchen cupboards or internal doors. A minimum charge of £40.00 applies. Any charge must be paid before collection. Please contact us for details.
How to Pay - Call us on 01757 705101 to pay by debit or credit card. Alternatively, please return the bulky items form via post with a cheque made payable to Selby District Council. Please post this form and cheque to the address below. Cheques cannot be accepted at Access Selby.
Are you on Benefits?
You may be entitled to assistance, to claim assistance we need to see a copy of a recent (within the last 12 months) award letter for a Means Tested Benefit. These are child tax credit, working tax credit and pension credit. Households in receipt of either working tax credit which includes a disability element or child tax credit will qualify providing the person entitled to the tax credit has a relevant income of less than £14,200. We will only provide assistance for the collection of furniture, white goods etc. The collection of fixtures & fittings is still chargeable at a minimum of £33.02 even if the resident is in receipt of benefits.
Download and complete a form for bulky household item collections - doc and then return it to us.
If you want to dispose of any items of household waste you can take them to the Household Waste Recycling Centres on Station Road, Tadcaster and Canal Road, Selby or contact Waste Disposal at North Yorkshire County Council.