Any person carrying on a business of boarding dogs and cats must be licensed to do so by their local authority. In Selby district, there are a number of boarding establishments listed below which are licensed to board animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act. These establishments are inspected at least once a year, before we issue a licence. We pay particular attention to the construction and conditions of buildings and the welfare of boarded animals.
The licence which is issued by us should be on display at the premises at all times. Whilst all licensed premises meet at least the minimum standards of our model licence conditions, we advise all pet owners to check that the services offered by the establishments meet with their individual requirements.
An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment.
- Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951.
- Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954.
- Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006.
Any pet owner within Selby district who has concerns about the conditions or practices at any licensed premises should contact us without delay and immediate action will be taken.
Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached. The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
The applicable fees are
- Initial licence £204.02 (Renewal £116.15)
- Initial restricted home boarding £103.53 (Renewal £59.09)
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us.
Apply for an animal boarding licence
- Model licence conditions for dog boarding establishments - pdf
- Model licence conditions for cat boarding establishments - pdf
- Animal Boarding Establishment licence form - doc
Restricted Animal Boarding Application Form and Guidance Notes
- Restricted 'Home Boarding' Conditions - pdf
- Animal boarding establishment restricted licence form - doc
Failed application and complaints
Please contact us if you wish to appeal a refused application or have a complaint about our service. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court.
These are the establishments that are currently licensed by Selby District Council:
- Aristocats, Stillingfleet Road, Escrick - 01904 728781
- Catnaps, Monk Fryston - 01977 681661
- Chevinside Kennels & Cattery, Wistow - 01757 268380
- Clipsall Wood Kennels, Fulham Lne, Womersley
- Danewalk Pet Hotel, Brotherton, Knottingley - 01977 674379
- Doggi Divas, Stubbs Grange Farm Cottage, Common Lane, Walden Stubbs, Doncaster - 07841866392.
- Fairview Boarding Kennels, Low Rest Park, Sherburn-in-Elmet, Leeds, LS25 6HW – 01977 683195
- Hales Garth Farm, Drax - 01757 618555
- Harewood Cattery, Hillam Common Lane, Hillam - LS25 5HR - 07767 871440
- High Trees Kennel & Cattery, Gateforth - 01757 228547
- Pointer Farm Kennels, South Milford - 01977 685724
- Priory Farm, Acaster Selby, York - 01904 744382
- Snowlandia Kennels & Cattery, Stillingfleet - 01904 728235
- Top Cattery, Whitley Bridge - 01977 662608
- Woodhaven, South Milford - 01977 685404
- Mr & Mrs D S Pinchin, 15 West Bank Carlton DN14 9PZ - 01405 861631
- Glenrose Cattery, Hill Farm, Lund Road, Cliffe, Selby, YO8 6PF - 01757 712107
Restricted Animal Home Boarding Establishments
These are establishments where the animals are kept within the occupants house rather than kennels.
- Amy Greenhough, 21 Evergreen Way, Brayton, Selby, YO8 9RD – 07929231271
- Lynne Kilburn, Pear Tree Cottage, 8 Chapel Close, Church Fenton, LS24 9WD - 07772 021868
- Trista Asherwood-Kinsley, 30 Robin Close, Selby, YO8 3LR
- Sean and Sarah Howard, 18 White Street, Selby - 07970722516
- Mr J Sugden, 30 Willow Rise, Thorpe Willoughby - 01757 700920
- Angela, Fairburn, Knottingly, WF11 9JQ - 07575439933
- Mrs C Klima, Cutters End, Wath Lane, Ulleskelf, Tadcaster - 01937 833148
- Helen Everatt, Vine Farm, Low Street, Carlton - 01405 862769
- Lorna Briers-Parr - 19 Birch Close, Thorpe Willoughby, Selby, YO8 9FB - 01757 709994
- Linda Bould - 114 Wighill Lane, Tadcaster, LS24 8HE - 01937 834154
- Jeff and Angela Bell, 5 Langdale Grove, Selby - 01757 703008
- Mrs M B Cox, 45 Chapel Street, Hambleton - 01757 228805
- Melanie Bryce, The Cottage, Main Street, Healaugh - 01937 833701
- Karina Hawkridge, Broadacres Nurseries, Old Coach Road, Tadcaster, LS24 8HA - 07900887527
- Mr & Mrs Anderson, Selby Dog Walking, 51 St Wilfrids Crescent, Brayton, YO8 9EU. Tel: 01757 290799. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charlotte Knowles, 5 Rose Avenue, Sherburn in Elmet, LS25 6AY - 07850530602
- David & Sarah Firth, Coach House, Weeland Road, Hensall, Goole - 01977 663935
- Patti Tyson, 1 Dixon Court, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 4DP - 07814 686868 - email@example.com
- Louise Auty, Safe Hands Pet Services, 7 Trust Fold, Burton Salmon, Leeds, LWS25 5PG – 07725 039021
- Wendy Benton, 2 Field Lane Cottages, Thorpe Willoughby, Selby, YO8 9NL – 07852 226341
- Mr & Mrs Naylor, Tadville Cottage, Main Street, Hemingbrough, YO8 6QE - 01757 630314
- Mr R Womersley, The Dog Walker, 8 Heather Drive, Sherburn-in-Elmet, LS25 6PW - 07890500502
- Tracy - 18 Field Lane, Wistow, YO8 3XD - 01757 269333
- Elizabeth Kilner, Springwood Farm, Bishopdyke Road Cawood YO8 3UB. Mobile 07812128945.
- Kathy Wannop, 23 King Rudding Close Riccall YO19 6RY - 01757 249043